Friday, July 02, 2010

cake

If it weren't for this on my to do list: rainbow cake, I'm pretty sure we could have made it to the pool today...but I have trouble saying 'no' to a certain 6 year old's birthday party requests.

So we are doing this instead of swimming.
Isn't it happy?!?! :)
I caved and went with the Wilton Food coloring instead of the other stuff.
And while you really cant tell from these pictures - the colors look AMAZING!
I cant wait to see them when they are baked.
The top middle is actually an awesome purple and the bottom right is actually a bright red.

My biggest tips for making this cake are:
1. grease your pans like there is no tomorrow!
You do NOT want to have one layer break - you will cry. I promise.

2. after they have baked and cooled - cut off the top of each layer (except for your top layer)- the part that rises up and domes in the oven. If you don't you'll have a leaning tower of pisa cake. That will probably make you cry too.

3. freeze the layers before frosting.

4. If you are like me - have someone else frost your cake. Really, you don't want to go to all this work and then be embarrased to show it off because you are HORRIBLE at frosting.
Again, tears.
for real.


(and yes, Im pretty sure I vowed to never make the party cake again...but again, having trouble saying no lately!)

2 comments:

Courtney said...

that cake IS a little stressful to make, isn't it?? and nothing can compare to the wilton colors.

brenda said...

you are seriously the best mom ever :b