Monday, May 20, 2013

a legacy

This week is the week we've all been dreading/looking forward to 
since we got the call that our mom was gone. 

That doesnt make sense does it? 
Try getting in my head...it will make less sense trust me.

You know there is nothing I love more than being surrounded by my brothers and their wives. 
But being surrounded by them in our parents home...as we sort, divide, toss and riffle through almost 50 years of 'life'...is not how I'd choose to spend my time with them. 

But it had to be done. 
Today was the first full day. 
So very hard. 
We made excellent progress. 
We had gorgeous weather..the house was open...and there was an awesome breeze. 

My prayer was that as we cleaned and sorted we would do it in honor of our parents. 
That we would treat their belongings with respect and yet, not be insane enough to think we could keep all of it. 
We've done that. 
We are each getting our special pieces. 
Each finding our treasures.

We've each found things that brought us to tears...some sobbing tears. 
We've found more things that made us gasp and laugh and hug and laugh more. 

This process is indescribable.
Searching through your legacy. 
What your parents have left for you. 
Reading through your childhood through journals and pictures. 
Searching through antique trunks of ancient pictures of relatives and days gone by.

Remembering - the good ole' days.
"I wish there was a way to know you're in the 'good ole' days' before you've actually left them"
-Andy Bernard - The Office. 

One thing is for sure...our parents left us the most wonderful, messy, perfect, lasting, treasured legacy to be known. They left us with memories, and countless stories. My parents ALWAYS talked about our ancestors and I felt I know them...even though I never met them. 
I see their pictures and I see myself...or my children. 
I know endless details of both of their childhoods that I would imagine most dont have the honor of knowing. 
My parents knew how to give a gift of memories. 
They left a legacy...through their words and their stories. 
I wouldn't trade that for an inheritance of millions of dollars. 
Not for one second.

So this week is hard...and likely the most emotional of my life. 
And yet, I dont want it to end. 
I want to hold on. 
Keep my tight grip. 
Keep the memories. 
Keep that house...the love.
Keep all the STUFF. 

Of course, we cannot.
And the house and the stuff are just that...stuff.
Hard to leave, hard to let go of...yet, still just stuff.
But try and take that legacy...you cannot. 
Legacies are forever and cannot be stolen. 
Not even by time. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very well said. I'm reminded of how hard it is to just sell baby clothes. And this is a lifetime of memories that were cherished by your family.
You are so right, though. No one can ever take away your memories.
And you are so lucky to be so rich with them!
Thinking of you...

Alisa said...

Beautiful. I can't help but believe that your dad and mom are giggling along with you guys! I don't know if God will let us peek "down" from time-to-time, but it would be cool if He did. Have thought and prayed for you so often, especially this week.