Sunday, July 14, 2013

A League of Their Own

One of the most special moments at my mom's funeral was talking with her high school friends. 
They were such a close group and we were always hearing about them. 
They were still planning get togethers a couple of times per year even recently.

Shortly after the funeral one of mom's friends called to invite my brothers and I to the 50th Anniversary celebration of their State Softball victory.
I knew that mom would have loved nothing more than to have gone. 
So I was very excited to take my kids and be there to represent her. 
My brother Jordan came along with us. 
He was an avid baseball player and learned a lot about the sport from her. 
They played countless hours of catch in our yard...countless. 

My mom played 3rd base and even had a homerun in the final game. 
She loved that time of her life. 

I will admit that I was so nervous to go. 
I knew it would be hard. 
But having Jordan there and then having my husband Jordan meet us there helped a lot. 

And the minute we got to the field we were flocked by mom's friends. 
We were hugged and they were just so happy to see us! 
I could have listened to them talk about 'the good ole days' for hours. 
They talked about sleepovers at my mom's house and late nights goofing around. 
I think I would have liked being part of their group. 
Jordan even talked to one gal who was in 8th grade when my mom and her friends were in high school. Her quote was, 'It was an honor just to carry their gloves!'
Yes, she really said that!

This is 3 of mom's good friends and their coach!

They called all the team members out onto the field one by one in between a varsity softball double header. It was truly like a scene out of the movie A League of Their Own. 
You could just feel the history.
They told how the school at first had no money to even have uniforms...so the girls played in jeans and white blouses. After the 1st year when the girls displayed so much talent the parents held a fund raiser and made enough to purchase uniforms. 

 All the remaining team members. 

It wasn't easy when they called mom's name and Jordan and I walked out to the 1st base line to take her place. But it helped so much to know that mom would have been SO proud that we were there for her. 
There is no where on earth I would have rather been on that night. 

No comments: