Thursday, January 22, 2009

After almost 7 months...

I knew the older three would be infatuated with Tess when we first brought her home from the hospital. I didn't realize that it would last this long!

She's been here almost 7 months and they still adore her. I love to notice how they are different though, even in how they show their love to their baby sister:

Lauren. Is quite seriously, Contessa's second mother. There is really nothing that she cannot do with or for her. She carries her, feeds her, picks her up, soothes her and makes her laugh. Tess adores her right back. When I make supper Tess normally sits in her high chair and plays with a spoon...that is until Lauren walks in and says, "I'll hold her instead." Then Tess gets walked around the house for 30 minutes...stopping now and then to stop and play with a toy or whatever Lauren thinks she might like. She spoils Tess beyond belief! Lauren's philosophy is: Why would we have her sit in a chair when she could be in my arms?

Avery. Avery probably pays the least amount of attention to Contessa. Now and then she will ask to hold her on the couch but it doesn't last more than a couple of minutes. She'll jump over Tess while she's lying on the floor to get to her destination but really is good at ignoring her! But this is what causes my heart to skip. A couple of times a day Avery will jump over Tess, run to the baby toy trunk and grab a toy or two and take them to Tess. She pats her on the head without a word and then skips on out. It is so thoughtful and sweet and I just love it. Its like she's saying, "I love you, but I don't have time to sit and play right now!"

Sullivan. I've said it before but this boy truly baffles us in his behavior towards Contessa. He is SO mean to Avery and Lauren. But its like a switch goes off in him when she is near. He talks sweet, soft and his touches become light and ticklish. She thinks he is hilarious and loves when he pays attention to her. He loves to bring her toys and watch her play. He loves to see her roll over and grab for things. He also loves to watch her eat baby food and asks if he can feed her. I have yet to see him get upset with her even when she's grabbing for his toys. I think he will be the perfect big brother - looking out for his baby sister.

Now for Contessa...she just loves all the attention she gets from them. What I love most is to have all the kids playing in the living room while Jordan and I watch from the sidelines. The three older ones will be playing a little wild and somehow they manage to keep out of Tess's way. She stares up at the madness kicking her feet and doing her little happy screams.

Our house really is very fun. Loud. But fun!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

i loved reading all that. because it sounds SO much like my 4 kids!!! it's so fun!