Sunday, January 18, 2009

Taking a Toll

I've mentioned that this is Jordan's busiest season at work. I've complained about it. I get stuck on how it is affecting me...leaving me at home with the kids a lot by myself, giving me no time with him etc.
I've mentioned a little about how it affects him, lack of sleep, stress...

What I didn't really consider was the toll it was taking on the kids. They've been kind of whiny and clingy lately and I didn't really know why. I figured it out today.

When everyone got up from naps Lauren was asking where Jordan was. I said he was at work, and she complained that he had been there all weekend. (They really have not seen him much this week period). I explained why he worked so hard, that he was working for us, to give us all the things we need and so many of the things we want, to allow me to stay home part time etc. I commented that we should be thankful that he is such a hard working daddy. She shook her head yes and then asked when he would be home.

I hesitantly told her that he would not be home until long after she was in bed because he had to drive to pick up someone from the airport for his training day tomorrow. Her eyes welled up with tears and she was sobbing. Avery joined in at that point and before long the three of us were crying.

We are having a cuddly night on the couch with a movie tonight to try and compensate. But the truth is, we just miss him and its not the same...could the next few weeks please go by in fast forward?

3 comments:

Andrea Dellit said...

i'm so sorry...we can relate to the long hours part...and the lack of time together part...i can't imagine having 4 cutie pies in the middle of it all...

Cassie said...

so so sorry becky.
not easy at all...

Trina said...

We're in the same boat. Literally no nights off this week - Monday-Saturday. Just keep thinking...it doesn't last forever.