Tuesday, September 24, 2013

My Grandpa Buzz


One thing I am really regretting SO much right now is that I didnt ask more questions of not only mom and dad, but also my grandmas. 
I want to know so much more about my grandpa's time in Germany, all of their lives growing up, where pieces of furniture came from, how people got their names, why was grandpa Buzz called Buzz, how were mom and dad as kids, I could go on and on. 

Its amazing to me that even after losing dad, I still felt I had plenty of time to ask all these questions. 
That is a huge piece of advice I give all my friends...talk to you parents and grandparents...find out all you can and write it down...you wont be sorry. 

So Thursday Jordan and I leave for Europe. 
My biggest excitement is visiting some of the sites that Grandpa Buzz was at in WWII. 
The last trip we took there we stumbled upon a couple of them and I will never forget the feeling. And I cant describe it. But standing there made me feel close to a man that I dont even remember. 
And like I was walking inside of history. 
It was awesome. 

Ive spent a lot of time this week reading his letters to grandma while he was away. 
I'll tell you this was where my dad got his sappy side, grandpa was the same way. 
He called grandma, darling, sweetheart and dear every other word. 
He missed her so much. 
So very sweet. 

This is my grandpa standing outside of Hitler's retreat. 
He describes the scenes in some of his letters. 
Its like pages out of a history book.  
I hope to stand in this same spot. We'll see if the fountain is still there by chance. 


No comments: