Thursday, September 05, 2013

Uncle Roger

My dad had one sibling, an older brother named Roger. 

As a child I was terrified of him. 
Terrified. 
I have no idea why. 

Then we went to Adventureland and he took me on the bumper cars and 
protected me and I liked him a lot better from then on. 

Now 'adays we love to give each other a hard time. 
He likes to pick on people. 
So did my dad. 
I like to pick on people too. 

They are so much alike. 
And very different. 
They look a lot alike. 
Except that my dad had jet black hair and Roger's grayed earlier. 

When we went camping in August he and my aunt came for awhile one night. 
I had fun showing Tori how silly he was. 
She was basically as terrified of him as I used to be. 

The truth is...it hurts SO badly just to see him. 
Every single time, when I first see him, I can hardly breathe. 
My breath catches and before I can even say hello I have to leave for a minute.


He is NOT a hugger. 
My dad was a HUGE HUGGER.
I MAKE Roger hug me. 
And I hold on a really long time. 
He probably thinks Im insane. 
But for those moments when he's hugging me back its as close to a 
hug from my dad as Im going to get until heaven. 
And I'll take it. 
So thank you Roger...you'll never know what those hugs mean to me. 

No comments: