Saturday, November 15, 2014

Happy 13th Birthday, Lauren Elaine!!!

Thirteen years ago I woke up on this morning to my Dr. leaning 
over my bed asking me if I was ever going to speak to him again. 

Before I could answer a nurse handed me a baby wrapped all in pink. 

Right then nothing mattered...not the horrible 14 hours before, not the surgery that came right after delivery, not my fear or the pain. 

All that mattered was that little baby. 

Thirteen years ago we became 'mommy and daddy'.
We were so clueless. 
And so in love with this tiny baby girl. 
We named her Lauren Elaine. 
We knew her name would be Lauren for years before. 
We talked about her often...made plans. 
We dreamed of her. 

Thirteen years ago our dream came true. 

Lauren, I could go on for days and days about what its been like to be your mom. 
I could talk about the hours we would spend just staring at you. 
And the nights where you slept on our chests because you flat our refused to sleep anywhere else. 
I could tell you about your first pediatrician who assured me you would not die if I let you cry a little...although he never promised me that I wouldn't die just a little bit. 
I could tell you that you would light up for your dad at the youngest age. 
That you would calm for him when you wouldn't for me. 
That there were times I wondered if I'd ever get to hold you because he would not give you up. 

Then I could tell you about how you became this adorable little toddler. 
And how your dad and I would throw a party for each and every milestone. 
That just watching you lay on the floor on your tummy with your feet kicked up to watch a movie had us running for the camera and calling the grandmas. 
Wow, we were infatuated with you. 

Next, I'd have to start telling you about how were the sweetest and brightest preschooler
and elementary kid. How you were so excited for school and how we were so excited to hear about your day. 

And now, here you are. 
A teenager. 

13 years. 
in a blink. 
a flash. 

Lauren, from day one you've had our hearts. 
You make us so very proud. 
You are so responsible, so hard working and so 'together'. 
We see qualities in you that we wish we saw in ourselves. 
You are mature beyond your years. 
But you are so fun and creative.
I love how you make us laugh.
The only thing better might be to hear you laugh...its the best laugh I know. 

Many parents dread the teenage years. 
I have to say that I have no sense of dread with these years with you. 
No, I am excited to see what you will do. 

As you take more steps in independence just know that your mom and dad are here...like we have been since day one, your biggest fans and supporters. 
Totally infatuated with you.

You made us parents. 
And we happen to think you are just about the coolest kid that there's ever been.

Happy Birthday, Bo-bo. 

And somehow it just seems fitting to say thank you...
because it might be your birthday, but 13 years ago, your dad and I got the gift. 

No comments: