Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving Weekend 2014

Ah, what a great, long weekend we had. 
I love Thanksgiving. 
I love that there is no pressure and about 95% less work than Christmas. 
I love that the focus is on family and food and thankfulness. 
And no gifts. 

When my mom died I vowed to never sit around a traditional Thanksgiving table again. 
Well that lasted one year...
I knew this would be difficult. 
Nick and I took the reigns and took over mom's spot of hosting and cooking. 
I think she would have been proud. 
I think she'd have liked to have been sitting in the kitchen just watching and listening as Nick and I attempted to create Thanksgiving the way she did. 

Things worked out perfectly and Tess and Tori were at Grandma Cindy's all morning and Jordan took the three older kids to volunteer at the Thanksgiving meal that the community serves. 

So it was just Nick and I. 
I started by giving him this gift that I had found the week before while cleaning and prepping for Thursday: 
My mom's worn and tattered 'Thanksgiving prep' cards. 
We loved looking at these together and shed some tears at the amazement that was our mom. 
We were hosting 12...she hosted 35-45 people each year. 
Having these cards made us feel like she was there in a little way. 
And I'm so thankful that I found them when I did. 
(my God is awesome)


Nick went with a fresh turkey this year. 
He sent me a picture on Tuesday of our lucky lady in her brine bath. 

Our house was involved in prep work all week too. 
Lauren and Avery were in charge of Grandma's famous punch. 
They smelled it and said, 'Mom! this smells like Christmas, and grandma.' 
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. 

Having kids old enough to help with all the cutting and dicing is nothing short of WONDERFUL!

We also got out Grandma Elaine's silverware and dishes. 

Lauren made these for everyone. 

Nick and I getting ready to start the serious work.
Mom would have been proud of our multiple lists and our aprons.


Nick felt we needed beets as part of our meal. 
Even though he brought the 'money beets' they were not well received. 

We drew names for who sat at the kids table. 
It was only slightly rigged. 

 It took Uncle Jordan awhile longer than anyone else to finish his plate. 

That night we snuggled up and watched a movie and then decided that next year we'll just wear our pjs to the Thanksgiving meal so we can head straight to bed after eating. 

Friday Stacie and the girls and I did a little shopping in Grundy and then I headed to the 'city' to shop with my 4 girls. I was not looking forward to it...we went because our microwave died the day before. 
But we ended up having the best time. 
I have a feeling that I'll spend many Black Friday's with these 4 girls of mine! 


Friday night Mandy and Amy came over and we did actual Black Friday shopping in the best way possible...online, in our comfiest clothes with blankets. 
We were at it til Friday became Saturday. 

Saturday we got down to some serious Christmas decorating. 
I love having little ones in my house and realized that those years are dwindling fast...I hope I never forget Tess and Tori's little voices excitedly looking through boxes of ornaments and decorations. 
Lauren headed out for a day with Grandma Cindy and Jordan took the younger three to see Home Alone at our theater...so that left Avery and I to get the tree up to be ready for decorating that night. 
We were tired when we were done! 

Once we were all back together late that afternoon we went up town to the Christmas celebration. 
We rode the horse drawn trolley and saw Santa. 

Then it was time for homemade pizza and tree trimming. 

Today after church it was time to start prepping for Thanksgiving with Jordan's side of the family. 
9 kids 13 and under makes this Thanksgiving loud and full of memories. 
It was such a nice evening even though I only took one picture...
but it was sure a cute one...shh, Adrian is one of my favorites!