Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Day 2!

I've been getting some hate email about the lack of pictures from yesterday. Well I'll tell you, this homeschooling deal is a full time job! I didn't even take any pictures yesterday.

But we had a really great day. Everyone had wonderful attitudes and for the most part they sat and listened. I think we have a pretty good schedule worked out based around when the kids are going to school for music, PE, etc and Tori's nap. Im finding some things are taking longer than I thought and some are taking longer...but we will figure all that out. 

I did already have to call Grace with some questions and I'm sure that will be far from my last call! I'm also anxious and excited to meet with my supervising teacher in a couple of weeks and make sure I'm not leaving out something important.

Yesterday's highlights included getting to know our books, talking about some of the fun projects we will be doing, using colored pens (kids love the little things!), recess at the library and math time for Sullivan. 

My highlight is the reading curriculum Im using for Lauren and Avery. We are starting with biographies and we did a biography hunt about members of our family and then they did an object lesson for me about themselves. It is so awesome how watching the kids help each other with what we were learning, and seeing their faces as they learn and concentrate. I feel privileged and honored.

Yes, I know there are going to be frustrating days but we are off to a great start. 
I also know full well that there were some veteran homeschoolers out there laughing at my schedule I posted on the white board and probably at my structure....but we are a structured family and my kids love a good schedule as much as their mother. If I didnt have that up they would be constantly asking what was coming next before we finished the first task.

Now for pictures!
These are from today...

We did a really fun activity with about how globes become maps and why maps are distorted versions of the actual size and scale of our world. The kids loved this project. 

We had Art today...making John 3:16 posters and coloring people from different cultures around the world....because God loves the whole world...not just those living around us. 
The kids loved this project and were so detailed in their drawings. 

We decided to write our spelling words in sidewalk chalk today. 

Tess and Tori thought this was a great idea! 

2 comments:

Courtney said...

thinking of you so often!

Choose Joy said...

Have fun homeschooling. Those oranges are so stinking cool. I've never thought to draw on fruit.