Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Christmas gifts

Well we made it through. My mom as usual handled it with grace and stregnth for her family.
It was difficult to celebrate with out my dad. It was difficult to have Christmas devotions and open gifts without him sitting and enjoying every second with us.
One unique thing about my dad was his huge collection of obnoxious/ugly ties. As kids these ties embarrased us to no end and caused us to sneak into church and try our best to appear part of other families! As we got older they gave us a great source of amunition with which to make fun of him about. And boy did we let him have it for all the years of embarassement we had to deal with.
My mom used this to make the most perfect Christmas gift for each of us 7 kids. She secretly had them made into quilt blocks for us all.


This picture really doesnt show how neat it is...the coolest part is that I remember each of these ties from a different time period; one from when I was quite little even.
I know I will treasure this Christmas gift for the rest of my life. It will hang in my room where I will see each each day. Thank you Mom. For everything...

2 comments:

Cassie said...

becky!
what an awesome keepsake. wow!! i'm sure you will keep it as one of your most priceless possessions.
love you!!

Heather said...

wow...that is awesome. one of the best Christmas stories I have heard this year. what a brilliant idea. the tie story will probably be told for generations to come. keep holding tight to the awesome memories...