Monday, December 11, 2006

Cookies

Last night after I put the kids in bed I literally collapsed on our bed and said to Jordan, when will they be older?
I was feeling tired, frustrated and selfish. Everything they did was a burden. When I went to bed, about 8:30 (!) I prayed that God would help change my perspective and help me to enjoy everything about my kids. Not just the things that make me happy, but things that push my buttons. I asked for some patience.
Tonight we made Christmas cookies. After a long day at work I hoped that this would not turn into a project that I wished we had never started. Jordan was gone for the evening and Sully was good enough to take a nap.

It was a wonderful time! Now, Avery was still Avery - stealing licks of frosting and using the frosting spoon as her own personal spoon, dropping frosting, cookies, a cup of flour and a glass of milk on the floor, Lauren was still Lauren - bossing her little sister, wanting everything just right (wonder where she gets that) and knocking over the frosting. Im pretty sure there is way more flour in the cookies and powdered sugar in the frosting than there was supposed to be and I really dont think Avery's shirt will ever be the same...But mommy had a differnet attititude. I took pictures of the 'naughtiness' and reminded myself that the next time I blink they will be teenagers and I will be begging them to come make Christmas cookies with me.
Im so thankful that God helped me to change my outlook today. I am so thankful for my precious girls. Im thankful that during the cookie making Lauren spontaneously said, 'Avery, I love you.' and Avery responded, 'I love you too, and I love you back.'
Tonight when I put them to bed I asked them each to stay little, Lauren said, 'No mommy, I cant!' Sully gave me a noncommittal grin, but Avery said, 'Ok, mommy, I will'. Tonight my prayer will be a little different than last night, but I'll probably add in a request for patience again, just to be safe!




1 comment:

Cassie said...

very sweet.
those kind of nights make for the best memories!!