Thursday, October 17, 2013

11 years, 335 days

11 years, 335 days
That is the amount of time that a baby has been sleeping in our crib. 
That's a really long time. 

In the past when we moved a toddler out of the crib it was only because we were 
bringing home a baby brother or sister. 
At one point in fact we actually required 2 cribs at once. 

But last night the count ended. 
No more.
This sweet 'almost 3 year old', who still sucks her thumb,
 moved into her big girl bed. 
She slept all night, only got up once because she could not find her pillow. 
Slept till 9 am. 

She was so so proud this morning. 
And I was proud and happy. 
And terribly terribly sad. 

This crib. 
My mom bought it second hand when we were expecting Lauren. 
Jordan's mom painted it with the stars and moons to go with our nursery theme. 
I've laid here and starred up like this at all hours of the night..begging a baby to fall asleep. 
I've crept beside to be sure a baby is still breathing...and to see if I can sense a fever. 

I've peered over the edge like this to stare at my sleeping babies, peek at them just waking up or to play peek a boo. 
Oy. 
This is a tough one. 
This phase is over. 

And I think its ok, that I am not really ok with it. 

2 comments:

Courtney Cassada said...

i know, i know!!

Happilyoutnumbered said...

I know. It's a hard phase to get past. I had a hard time. So exciting the things you can do with a family of "big" kids...but so sad to not have a baby :(