Monday, April 18, 2011

dear avery,

It is 40 degrees out today.

Just because you were allowed to wear flip flops to school a couple weeks ago when it was 70 degrees...does not mean I will let you when it is 40 degrees.

Also, when you are dressing for soccer practice in the wind and frigid temps you will not be allowed to wear shorts and a tank top.

Pretending you don't hear me wont work. Waiting as long as possible to get dressed so that I am frazzled and rushed will also not work. Pleading will not work. Begging will not work. Crying REALLY will not work. Pouting will only get you in more trouble. Claiming that your friends are all doing it wont work - in fact I will simply ask the old question about jumping off the cliff - again.

Do you remember me? I am your mother. These tricks have never worked in the past. They will not work now. Or ever in the future. You are not wearing me down...you are in fact strengthening my resolve. And I have a secret for you...you get your stubbornness from me...I invented some of the tricks you are pulling...therefore they are no match for me.

Sincerely,
your mother

p.s. Believe it or not, I make these rules because I want you to be warm and safe. And I don't fall for your tricks because I love you.

wow.

5 comments:

D G Curren said...

Becky, can I borrow this note and write "Dear Ally" on the it? Please?

Amy said...

Way to be strong, momma! :)

Sarah Guild said...

I'm convinced that God gives stubborn children to stubborn mamas because we will have to have some mighty staying power. Keep on it. Our pastor told me that winning those battles before the teenage years with the stubborn children will pay greatly.

Ellie said...

Uh yeah. I second Grace. Could totally use a note like this of my own!!

mama barb said...

You may think you invented, but it has been going on for generations!!!
Good for you to hold strong!!!

mama barb