Tuesday, June 26, 2012

worry wart

Want to know a secret about me? 
I'm a worrier. 
I come by it naturally...my dad was a worrier. 
Oh, and Im a sinner so I guess I come by it naturally that way too. 

I know some of you who know me the best out there are shaking your heads and saying, 
'uh, Becky, this wasn't a secret.' 
But it has been something I've tried to keep secret. 

I don't worry about the big stuff. 
I worry about little things. 
OR
things that MIGHT be or I simply can make things up to worry about. 
Truly very annoying...especially if you are married to me. 

Its not all the time.
Normally I really am upbeat and cheery. 
Thankfully.
Its really seasons of my life where Satan attacks with this worry.
And it can consume me. 
And its usually when I'm ready to make a big decision or we are trying to get something complicated figured out that could change things for us...

And Satan can blast me with worry. 
My mind swirls. 
I can get crazy...in my brain. 
And anxious. 
Oh the anxiety. 

I've felt it the past week and have known it needed to be nipped in the bud pronto. 
I have no time for it. 
And I dont want it!
I want to win this war before it starts this time. 

So tonight I talked with a very wise man...my brother Joe. 
I dont often call him that...
This man drove me INSANE as a child. 
I quite literally could not stand him. 
And it was mutual. 

But we're adults now and while we still have to maintain some strict rules between us when playing family games, we no longer hate each other. 
Right?! 
:)

Joe took me to Phillipians 4:6-7
'Do not be anxious about anything. 
But in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
And the peace of God, which TRANSCENDS ALL understanding, will GUARD your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.'

I've read those verses many times. 
But Joe started by saying, 'Becky, your worry is sin, you are not alone, and you can fight it by the grace of God.'

He pointed out that in these verses God tells us that if we give our anxiety, our needless worries, to God through prayer...then He PROMISES us a peace. 

And not just any peace, of course not, but one that TRANSCENDS ALL UNDERSTANDING. 
A peace that can come upon us that we will never be able to explain. 
I've felt that. And I will feel it again. But I sure needed the reminder tonight. 

Joe also pointed out the word GUARD - and that its meaning in this verse is like that of a citadel...with very high walls...so that when we come to God with an attitude of prayer when we are tempted to worry, He will guard us with tall walls with that peace mentioned before. 

I love that. 
If I close my eyes I can see those walls. 
The fortress His peace provides. 

I needed the reminder through verses I've read many times, and Joe...to take my needless and no good worry, and give it to God. And His peace will be mine...the more I do this, the more it becomes habit to throw it on God...the easier I'll feel that peace. 

Its so true. And its nothing I dont already know. 
But Im awfully thankful that God gave me a wise brother to call when I need the reminder. 
(Even if he does cheat at cards.)

No comments: