Monday, October 27, 2014

More birthday

Jordan had Torrance's birthday off so we planned a day of family fun and hiking!
We woke the birthday girl up with donuts and singing. 
She was so very excited that it was finally her day. 

First stop...Backbone State Park. 

As always when we are hiking in the great outdoors, Avery is in the lead.
And I'm typically yelling at her to slow down. 

Her dad eggs her on and it does not help. 


It was a gorgeous day, a little chilly but plenty of sunshine. 


When Jordan has the camera he takes constant pictures. 
I figure at least there is evidence that I am on these trips. 
I loved this day as much as the kids. 

She was not going to be left behind. 


And here I was trying to climb back up something I never should have gone down!
I blame Avery, she was down there too. 

Smiles. 
ALL DAY. 

Again, climbing down into something they should not be. 

See. 

Hello, Mr. Tree. 

Just 5 pieces of my heart walking around the woods. 

And 6. 


Lots of leaves to throw!


And lots of posing. 

Come on...

Just climbing down into a ravine that you cant climb back up.

Go ahead little one, you're 4 now...go wander into crevice. 

We left Backbone and headed to Elkader for lunch. 
Traveling through NE Iowa is a favorite of mine. 
My parents were born and raised there and I lived there for 4 years. 
All 4 of my grandparents and my great grandparents lived there until they passed away. 
There is nothing like going there for me. 
Its like time never moved past 1986. 
And I love it. 
And I am flooded with memories the entire time. 
I am sure my family tires of me telling the same stories over and over. 
But these places we visited are my childhood. 
And Im so happy that Jordan and the kids now know them like I did. 

1 comment:

Rosanna and Isaiah said...

Nothing can beat fall in Iowa, and you have captured it so well: the gorgeous leaves, those five sweet smiles, and the look of pure joy that only comes from the combination of kids and leaves :)