Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Light

Recently I've been brought to my knees for the pain of others. And while I am thankful that the pain is not mine to bear. I also realize that when my friends, my brothers and sisters-in-Christ hurt - I hurt.

Its a real pain.

All around us there is pain.

Satan is at work. He's sneaky and crafty and smart. 1 Peter 5:8 tell us, "...Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

We see him working everyday. We see him try to tear apart families, relationships, friends.

I can think of the Becker and Thomas families in Parkersburg, of friends whose marriages are being shaken to the core, of families who've lost loved ones and children way before they should have. All this pain. Consuming pain.

Last night I was reading and feeling really down for these people that I may just know through the news, or a friend or a blog. Feeling their hurt and thinking about how its not fair that Satan is so powerful. So powerful to tear down what has been built.

And it just so happened that I was led to the perfect passages. to remind me that Satan may be powerful. But he is not and will not be victorious. He is tearing down what he can now, because he knows...his day is coming. And then he will be locked in hell for eternity and have no more power over this earth. Rev. 20:10.

I turned to John 1:3-5. "Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness cannot overcome it."

See that darkness, that pain, its not stronger than the Light. Its not stronger than our Savior. He allows Satan to do his best but He promises us that Satan does not win the war.

He does not end up in first place.

We do. With Christ beside us. Romans 8:31: "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

And then perhaps my most favorite promise from His Word, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full."

That's how much He loves us. Not just enough to give us an eternal life in heaven with Him (which that alone is the greatest love known) but also so that we can have life TO THE FULL. So that even in trials, pain, suffering; He's there, arms wrapped tightly around us, holding us up, at times maybe even breathing for us. And He wants to restore us to that life in full.

Reading that, remembering His power and His unimagineable love for me, restored my soul.

4 comments:

yoderyears said...

Well said, Becky.....

Choose Joy said...

That was a great post! Thank you!

Andrea said...

:) Thanks for the note you left. It brightened my day.

Courtney said...

tough days...
thanks for sharing!