Saturday, February 10, 2007

Happy Birthday, Sullivan Joseph

How can a year pass so quickly? This year has been filled with so many life altering changes and im sure that was why it passed so fast.
Back in October 2005 I was headed to my ultrasound appointment and Jordan was unexpectedly not able to attend. I was bummed but excited. I knew this meant that I was going to find out the sex of the baby and Jordan wouldnt want to know.
I didnt really care what the doctor had to say, I just hoped up and said, tell me! The dr. said, "well you see this here? That is a penis!"
I about flew off the table. I was shocked. Really???? He said, yeah, 100%.
I started crying. The nurse had to hand me kleenxes. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE having girls - love every second - but I knew that we needed a boy!!
So for about 4 months I held that secret in. honestly I never even had the desire to tell my secret. Then Friday the 10th of February came and about 8:30 pm I finally gave in and said, ok, this is really it, lets go. Off we went to the hospital.
Things went pretty quickly. By midnight I had my epidural and Jordan and I were sleeping.

At 1 am the room was suddenly full of very nervous looking nurses. Something wasnt right. I said, 'did the machine run out paper?' (talking about the machine monitouring my contractions and the baby's heart rate) The nurse firmly said, "No, lay down."
That scared me. Jordan was at my head and we started praying. Then the nurse pulled back my sheets and I'm sure she about fainted. Get the doctor she yelled! By this point I was getting pretty ticked off that no one was talking to me! (turns out Sully's head was already out!)
As the Lord had it planned, at that moment our Dr. happened to be walking by my room. in he came and went work. Doing what, I have no idea!

All I know is a few minutes later I heard a baby crying on the other side of the room and I said, 'HE WAS BORN!?!?!?!?!'
The room erupted in laughter. They could not believe that I hadnt even known I had given birth. They were telling me good job, way to go!
I said, for what? I didn't do anything! (every delivery should be like that!)
So then I look at Jordan and say, 'so do you know what it is?' Through his tears he wispehered, 'my boy.'
I'll never forget that.
I'll never forget when they laid Sully in my arms and I looked into those blue blue eyes and wisphered I love you.
I will also never forget the looks on Lauren and Avery's faces when they saw and held their brother for the first time. Instant love.

I am very greatful for this little boy. Grateful that I got to see my dad hold him and say, "what a boy!" I'm not really sure what he meant by that, but I think it was his way of saying, "I'm so happy to have a grandson from you."
I'm grateful for the daddy that this little boy has and the values that he will instil in him. I am so happy that Sully is mine to hold, if only for awhile. I love you Sullivan Joseph. I always will.




Daddy's boy


Sully and Grandma and Papa Earle

2 comments:

jody said...

very sweet. made me cry.

Andrea Dellit said...

This is one of the sweetest things I have ever read. You too are 2 of the greatest parents we know.