Thursday, August 25, 2011

sad discovery

We headed over to Gladbrook for some kayaking and fun tonight.
Really trying to make the most of what is left of this amazing weather.

Tori of course stayed on shore with me...but she doesnt really stay with me.

She is going to be trouble I tell you. T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

Throwing stuff off the dock might have been their favorite part.

When we first arrived we discovered that our usual spot to put the kayaks in was closed. As was the beach. There were trees down everywhere. But it looked it needed some clean up work and then would be fine.

So after kayaking from a different point we went to our favorite spot.
We come here all the time. We take family pictures here.
And my brothers and I had countless evenings spent here with my parents growing up.
It is so amazing and special to us.
The waterfall is so fun and the creek.
But tonight we found this...
no waterfall...trees down everywhere.

Here's the most evidence that things are different...you can see the sky.
Before it was completely a roof of trees.

And this was when I literally started crying.
The path back to the BEST hiking and rock throwing was closed.

Truly, truly it will be YEARS before the park recovers.
Like 20 years or more.
I was so sad. The kids were sad.
Jordan and I both said that the next time we go back our kids could be
too old to remember the fun we had here and the amazing place this was.
The sheer number of huge mature tress that were lost in the storm is just heart breaking.

Here the kids are expressing their disappointment.

Good-bye for now Union Grove State Park.
We hope you recover quickly.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

awww bummer!

Joe Earle said...

What a downer! I loved that place growing up!

Courtney said...

wow...that STINKS!