Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sullivan, Oh Sullivan

I have spent a lot of time over the past 3.5 years shaking my head and saying, "Avery, Oh Avery." Slowly those roles seem to be switching or becoming shared in our house. Avery still has the market cornered on fiestiness and general craziness but Sullivan is well on his way to taking over the 'naughtiness' and boundless energy crowns.

The boy cannot sit still. We cannot take him out to eat or really out in public without getting the stares and glares. I seriously cannot help it. If a 2 year old doesn't want to sit, they don't sit! Lauren loved to sit on our laps for hours - Avery and Sully have some different gene pool! Sully loves to torment his sisters by stealing toys, running cars and trucks into them, pulling hair and then giving an award winning smile and his precious, 'hi!' that he thinks can get him out of any trouble (trouble is - he's normally right!).

This weekend I was thinking about Sully's antics and almost crying over how 6 months ago I was wondering if I would ever see him do something naughty and then run away to try and hide from me, if I'd ever see him climbing on the arm of a chair to stand on it and play with a light switch, if I'd ever have to scold him for running away from me and playing tag his sisters while the rest of the kids sit nicely during the church fellowship!

Before Sullivan I never thought I'd feel blessed to have a child I had to chase. Never thought I'd feel lucky to be the mom who couldn't finish her plate because she's running to get her kid off the alter in the front of the church.

But I do feel so blessed. I'm so thankful for how God changed my perspective and even my values by giving me Sully. I'm so thankful for this little boy that lets me hold him but only when we are alone and the lights are out. So thankful for that little grin and that sweet little, 'hi!' that he uses with so much charm. So thankful and so much in love.

No comments: