Sunday, January 27, 2008

You know you've lost it when...

Tonight CARS was on for about the 27th time in a week while we were playing in the living room (its been cold outside and we've all been sick!)Anyway, you know you've lost or are really pregnant when you're suddenly bawling during this movie.

All I know is McQueen and Sally were remembering the good ole' days for the town of Radiator Springs and James Taylor started singing 'Our Town' and I was bawling. Jordan came over and sweetly asked if I was ok and even told me that this part got to him too (we are a bunch of saps). Next thing I know both Lauren and Avery are on my lap asking if I was ok and why I was crying. I told them the song made me sad. Avery sweetly ensured me that I was not crazy - so cute.

I couldn't really explain it to them. I was thinking about my dad and how he always talked about growing up in his little town, about the good ole' days, about our little town and our good ole' days, all the memories we have here with good friends and each other.

Suddenly it seems that everything is changing and everyone around me is growing up or leaving us. We had family game night tonight and as I looked around the table it hit me that even 1 year ago we wouldn't have been able to have family game night because the kids weren't old enough. Now the girls play like pros and Sully sits and watches intently and throws cards at us from his own card game going on, on the side. Next year what will it be like? Will Sully be playing along just as fiercly as his sisters? Will the baby be the one playing at our feet as we have family game night with popcorn and laughter? And how many more years do we have before the idea of family game night sends them heading for their rooms?

All I know is if I had three wishes tonight one of them would definetly be used for a pause button. I really want one of those. I also know that its pretty sad that James Taylor and Pixar can get me this worked up but I'm pregnant, give me a break.

Here are the lyrics to the song that got me started down memory lane tonight.

Long ago, but not so very long ago,
The world was different, oh yes it was.
You settled down and you build a town and made it live,
And you watched it grow, it was your town.

Time goes by, time brings changes, you change too.
Nothing comes that you can't handle so on you go.
You never see it coming, when the world caves in on you,
On your town, there's nothing you can do.

Main street isn't main street anymore.
Lights don't shine as brightly as they shone before.
To tell the truth, lights don't shine at all,
In our town.

Sun comes up each morning, just like it's always done,
Get up, go to work, and start the day.
You open up for business, it's never gonna come,
As the world roles by, a million miles away.

Main street isn't main street, anymore.
No one seems to need us, like they did before.
It's hard to find a reason left to stay,
But it's our town, We love it anyway.

Come what may, it's our town.

No comments: