Thursday, November 06, 2008

Nine years and Fourteen years


Colmar, France 2007

Nine years ago today I married the man of my dreams! But, fourteen years ago I set my sights on him. It was the fall of our senior year in high school and I wanted a date for Homecoming. Let me rephrase, I wanted THE date for Homecoming. To be specific, I wanted someone that wasn't just cute (although obviously that was extrememly important at 16!), he also had to be 'different' from the other guys.

Even though our graduating class had a whopping 52 people in it, Jordan and I hardly knew each other and rarely talked. But that fall it changed. We started talking and I realized that this guy who was a little bit quieter than the rest, a little bit more serious was also very funny, sweet and completely sincere. There was more there than anyone knew. Oh, and did I mention the ice blue eyes that made my knees weak and my heart beat fast? Suddenly he went from Jordan, to the Homecoming date I HAD to have!

After that first homecoming date I knew, I knew from the moment he grabbed my hand as we walked down the steps of our high school that night. I knew he was the one. As corny as it sounds, its true. And he will tell you the same thing. Our hands touched and our fates were sealed. I fell in love with him at that moment.

Fourteen years later he is still the one, but not just because he met my 16 year old criteria. My God is so great that he gave me a man who fulfilled even the dreams and needs that I didn't know I had!

You see I didn't know I'd need a man who'd grab me while I'm making dinner and dance with me in front of our kids while they stare at us with sheepish grins. I didn't know I wanted a man who'd clean up baby puke and a small child's vomit, or who'd hold a baby with the most gentle touch. I didn't know I wanted a man who'd be able to calm a screaming baby when I am at my whits end. Or one who'd leave me notes at work for me to find later or voice mails and emails just telling me he's thinking about me and that I still make HIS dreams come true. I didn't know that having a man who'd cry with me, laugh with me and pray with me would be so very important. I've seen the look in his eyes when he knows I've been hurt by someone and the look in his eyes when he knows my heart has been broken...its the look that tells me he is experiencing it too, he is feeling what I am feeling, because he loves me so much. I didn't know to ask God for a man like that, but He gave him to me.

After fourteen years Jordan you are still the one I HAVE to have. Those eyes still make me weak and make my heart beat fast. Sometimes it even shocks me! Jordan thank you for fulfilling the dreams I knew I had but even more for fulfilling the ones that I didn't know about. I love to think about where we have come from but I am ultimately excited about where we are going...the plans God has for us and for our family. Thank you. Thank you for being the one I cannot live with out.

Thank you for grabbing my hand back in October 1994 and for not letting go. I love you.

9 comments:

angie said...

wow, becky, that brought tears to my eyes. beautiful.

Cassie said...

very sweet.
very true.
happy anniversary becky and jordan.
love you both...

Meghan said...

Happy Anniversary!

Courtney said...

now i'm crying because that was SO sweet. you're causing lots of tear today, lady :-)

Trina said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope your weekend away is great!

Andrea Dellit said...

wow..that was wonderful :)

love you guys,
happy anniversary

brad and andrea

Anonymous said...

Had courage tonight to watch your wedding video and then watched our 35....moment I knew the Lord had chosen the man for you was when the two of you had your private moment prior to service, know your dad knew alot sooner, I saw the look in your eyes and his, only God put that there....may you find all the joy, not without a lot of hard work!!, that your father and I did.

Love to both and all forever,

Mom

Melanie said...

I remember vividly throwing popcorn at Jordan with you at some volleyball game I believe. Who knew that was only the beginning!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Best wishes for many, many more wonderful years.