Thursday, February 12, 2009

A few more

We are pretty big Lincoln fans around here. So here are a few more of his great quotes:

"I happen temporarily to occupy this big White House. I am living witness that any one of your children may look to come here as my father's child has." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Speech to One Hundred Sixty-sixth Ohio Regiment (August 22, 1864), p. 512.

"Leave nothing for tomorrow which can be done today." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume II, "Notes for a Law Lecture" (July 1, 1850?), p. 81

"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VIII, "Speech to One Hundred Fortieth Indiana Regiment" (March 17, 1865), p. 361.

"In regard to this Great Book, I have but to say, it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume VII, "Reply to Loyal Colored People of Baltimore upon Presentation of a Bible" (September 7, 1864), p. 542.

In reply to comments about General Grant's drinking problem, "Find out what whiskey he drinks and send all of my generals a case, if it will get the same results."

"I do not think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday."

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."

"It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong."

"My father taught me to work he did not teach me to love it."

On marriage:"No matter how much cats fight there always seem to be plenty of Kittens."

"The worst thing you can do for those you love is the things they could and should do themselves."

"When I hear a man preach, I like to see him act as if he were fighting bees."

"You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."

No comments: