Tuesday, February 03, 2009

My next 30 years...

I'm not going to lie. I LOVE my birthday. Love it.

I might even be a little freaky about it. I blame my dad. He made the biggest deal out of each of our birthday's. We were truly queen and kings for that day. He made us feel like an only child in the midst of 6 other siblings. I love him for that.

I get not only a birth - DAY, but birth - WEEKS (the one before and the one after my birthday). I've even been known to get out of things by claiming it was my birth - MONTH. Sad, I know. I'm 32, I should be a little bit more grown up about the whole deal. But I refuse.

32. Yes, 32. As I was driving to work today I flipped to a country station. This is not a habit of mine. Normally its parked on 101.9 and it stays for me. But today they hosts were doing a lot of gabbing so I was flipping stations. And what song came on? Tim McGraw's 'My Next Thirty Years.' By chance? No. If you know me, you know I believe nothing is by chance. Nothing. I listened to the words of this song and I was singing along and realized that 32 really isnt that bad.

Trina and I were talking last night and we both decided that all birthdays are better when your age begins with a 2, not a 3. (She turned 29 yesterday, next year might be rough for her!) Today Im not so sure about that. It really is true that with maturity comes a lot of good things...I THINK my temper is better than it was in my 20's, I know my faith is stronger and my marriage. I have a greater understanding of what really matters in life. I value my family and my friends so much more. And all those relationships are deeper and more real than they ever were in my 20's. My kids are at awesome ages and I find myself looking forward to each and every day with them instead of wishing that they'd grow up.

Today I'm feeling spoiled already, at 8:15. I woke up to my husband wishing me happy birthday and offering to let me sleep in a bit and then my kids SO excited to wish me a happy birthday. They are taking me out for pizza tonight with my mom and Jordan's mom. I had a message from my boss this morning singing the entire Happy Birthday song for me which had me laughing so hard I was crying, a co-worker just gave me the sweetest birthday gift, I had many emails in my inbox this morning wishing me a great day and some are from friends I rarely hear from but who remembered me today.

Yep, 32. I can handle that. And I truly am looking forward to the next 30 years! (Besides, I still look like I'm in my 20's, right?!?!)

8 comments:

Meghan said...

Feb. 3rd is just an awesome day. Oh and by the way.. my wall says "Just one lifetime wont be enough for us!"

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday! How fun that you and Trina are almost birthday buddies. Agreed that with age comes some good perspective. I really like the thirties, so far.

Melanie said...

I think the 30's are going to continue to be good. Not sure about the big 40 yet though. Best not to think about it!

Cassie said...

32 is the new 22.
30s are WAY better than 20s...HANDS DOWN!
happy birthday dear friend.
love you so much!!

Tiffany said...

Although I hardly ever post, I wanted to continue with the birthday wishes. Regardless of how old you are, birthdays are a great reason to celebrate...Here's to many more happy days!!!

Courtney said...

i think the 30's are great! happy birthday!!! (and, yes, you still LOOK like you're in your 20's :-))

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Becky!!

Shannon/Jodi said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I'll be enjoying the 30's with you for another 1 year and 7 days. YIKES!

Hope you had a great day.