Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The story

First of all, thank you so much to all of you who called, emailed and commented your concerns about Contessa. We appreciated your prayers and offers to help with the kids! And we have the BEST friends and family.
Also, this post is long, sorry. But so many people have asked so many different questions about all of this that I just decided to get it all out at once. 

Right now if you looked at Tess you would not even think she had been sick at all. She seems completely normal. There is a little fussiness but I think that is actually from 2 incisors working their way in!

It all started last Wednesday morning of last week. Her fever started at about 101. We just went with it and started motrin and tylenol. Friday morning she woke up SO happy and fever free. We went to our park play date and she ate normal and played perfectly. Friday she got up from her nap, mad! And burning up. Fever at 102. Saturday am she woke up for the day, MAD! And burning up again. Temp at 102 or higher. We went to a dr., I figured she had an ear infection. 

Nothing.  We went home. When we got sent home with nothing I didn't feel right. Something was telling me that there was more going on in her little body than we could see. She had no runny nose, no cough, nothing. Nothing but the fever. And when she didn't have a fever she was basically happy. And she was still sleeping all night. 

So we went on with the weekend. I told Jordan on Sunday that I was worried, I said, this just isn't normal. Something is WRONG. I said that the absence of any symptoms beyond the fever was actually what was worrying me most. 

So Monday we went to our pediatrician. They were worried. I didn't like the way they were treating us...like with kid gloves or something. It just made me nervous. Our dr. had a worried look on his face and as soon as I saw him I was very glad I had the sense to put Tess's coveted blankie in the diaper bag. (I put in the camera too - I just knew that this was going to be a significant day - aren't I funny!?!?) So he said, this fever has gone on long enough, there is a cause, and we need to find it. We will start with a urine test, via catheter. He also said that he hoped this was the cause and that if it weren't we'd start a 'day of blood work'. Yes, that was when my heart started beating out of my chest. I really thought I was going to cry and I was so mad at myself for discouraging Jordan from coming with us that morning. 

So they did the catheter test and it was very fast...amazing little procedure really. It came back very 'dirty'. He said that with the high temp (almost 104!!!! in the office) he could not send us home. He said if he had an adult experiencing all this he wouldn't even send them home. He said he was so relieved to find the cause of the fever and that now we just have to fight it. So off we went to the hospital. 

Of course the IV was the worst part. I HATE it when they papoose wrap kids. Its just a nice word for straight jacket and terror infliction. We had this done to Lauren at 2.5 years for stitches. Tess reacted much the same way...Looking into my eyes and screaming for me to save her. 

(seriously do you have an IV or a broken arm? And with all that she still managed to get it loose!)

Then she had an ultrasound to check on the function of the her kidneys. This came back NORMAL! Kidneys are looking good. Phew. No damage. 


(Daddy came to visit on Monday night, I think he about took her home.)

Then we got to rest. And that was all she did all day Monday and Monday night. She ran a high temp until Tuesday am when it went down in severity and then went away all together. But she had to be fever free for 24 hours so we had to stay Tuesday night as well. 

This was the bad part. Ever try to keep a very active 10 month old, attached to a needle and cord contained? Its NOT fun. Add in the fact that every stranger was totally a threat to her and you are in for a day of fun. She was either attempting to crawl away from me or clinging to me for dear life when a nurse came near her. Also, trying to crawl hurt her hand where the IV was so that added another fun component. Then Tuesday night before bed she actually managed to pull it out through all the crawling. They were going to put it back in but THANKFULLY, called the dr. first and he said they could leave it out since we'd likely be discharged in the am. 

Today she kept crawling to the door and waving bye-bye. She had it and wanted to go home. How totally cute is that?!?!  And smart! 


(Now seriously, would you want to sleep in this cage? Its scary! And not comfy. I didn't blame her!)

She slept with me both nights. She's never done that since she was about 2 days old. It didn't go real well, but I knew she just needed to be close and feel safe...so we did it and I rubbed her back and face most of the night. I will admit that although I probably slept less than a combined total of 4 hour both nights, I was ok with it. I enjoyed the fact that I had no choice but to focus all my attention on ONE of my children. I enjoyed watching her 'falling to sleep progression', I enjoyed being that close to her and having her need me so desperately. 
I didn't enjoy the pain or fear that she was in, but the other part was ok. I never get to that...I guess no mother of more than one child does! 

Now for a series of pictures I call, "My mom put me in this cage and expects me to play, nice try!"
(This silly sock that the hospital gave her to wear was 12 sizes to big...but Tess held it about the whole time we were there, for some reason she loved it.)

(are we done yet?)
(Ah, my sock, andy my blankie...all is well)
(Im all better! Take me home!)
(I feel better, but dont look the greatest...please take me home anyway!)

Today we are home and she truly acts great! She is so happy to be here. She is just giggling and laughing about her siblings. Very cute. And they are very happy to have her home. They were so worried...sweet!

Here are the prayer requests:
The antibiotic to continue doing its thing
The fever to stay away. 
And for the test on June 1. We need the infection to be gone before the test is done which is why its not till the 1st.

As I said before having a bladder infection at this age is quite rare. The dr. said there could be an anatomical abnormality reason for it...so the test will be a different kind of ultrasound where they will put a dye into her bladder and then monitor if any of it goes into the tubes leading to the kidneys, and into the kidney. 

If that happens they will have to figure out the severity of that problem...the worst case scenario is that she will require surgery. Our pediatrician said that since he left med school he has NEVER seen it that bad. So, that is great news. But he also said he has rarely seen a child this young with a bladder infection this bad. Not great news. 

If surgery is not required then she will be put on a long term antibiotic for a year to keep her from getting another bladder infection and then she will be tested again at the end of that year. Hopefully, if there is a problem, she will out grow it as her bladder gets bigger and stronger. 

But of course, our prayer is that everything is functioning normally and this is the last of the issue. 

So, anyway, we are happy to be home and I am just so grateful for the health of my children. We have a very easy life comparatively.  I know that there are mom's and dad's sitting by bedsides tonight praying for cures for their children. Their are babies crying and mom's that cannot stop the pain and the poking and prodding. I feel for them and I am praying for those poor families. 

5 comments:

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing all that! i can't IMAGINE keeping Sawyer still these days...i just wrestled him during a 45 min performance at the school and am exhausted. i can't imagine how tired you must be...but also thankful that she's home and fever free!!! i'll be praying for complete healing!

mama barb said...

What an AWESOME God we have and what a wonderful family He has given the two of you to nurture and lead...He has given you the greatest gift we can be given, keep up the good work!!
The pictures made me cry and then shout for joy that she was able to come home.

The look is Up!!

Sarah Guild said...

What a tough time for the little one and Mom! Here's to continued health for all of you...

Melanie said...

I need a nap after reading that! I'm sure you are exhausted!

Shannon/Jodi said...

glad to hear Tess is feeling better. Let me know if you need help with the other little ones during her upcoming testing.