Monday, November 15, 2010

Happy 9th Birthday, Lauren Elaine!

Dear Lauren,


I remember Thursday, November 15, 2001 like it was yesterday and at the same time like it really was NINE full years ago.


I was so excited for that moment. I felt that I had waited my whole life for it in fact. Becoming a mommy!


However the second they laid your perfect body in my arms I realized I had been wrong about a couple of things...for one, I did not in fact know ANYTHING about babies...and two, I was in no way equipped to raise you!


Your early weeks I was so scared. I truly did not know what I was doing. If your dad had not been there I wonder if you would have made it through! :)


What I also learned in those early weeks was about a love that was so strong and unconditional and an instinct so real that I wanted to be better for you. I fought to learn how to be the mommy you needed and to soothe your cries and bring a smile to the corners of that beautiful face.


Lauren looking back over the past nine years I realize that not a whole lot has changed. You still bring out a desire in me to be a better mommy, a better person in fact.


Lauren you are beautiful inside and out. Your first thought is of others. I am not sure that you have a selfish bone in your body. You are always asking to serve, to help to be involved. You love to make the way easier for others.


Even at the age of 9 we see the Lord bringing those wonderful things about you out for everyone to see and witness His work in you.


You are an amazing girl...young lady in fact. Wise beyond your years and mature beyond belief. I am often reminded that I dont know how 9 year olds act...because my nine year old has always acted a few years older than she really is!


While you have this side to you we also love your silly side. There is nothing like a Lauren belly laugh to get our family going. It is contagious and goofy and we love it! We love how you love to have fun as a family and to play games and make memories. We love to watch you with your friends and to see you just being the little girl that you still are! Dont try to grow up too fast sweet girl...it will come soon enough.


Lauren you have a big job...the oldest of 5 children. They will look to you in life to lead them, they already do and you have not failed in anyway. Your instincts with your baby sister have been a true mystery and blessing to me. Your love in fact for all your siblings seems almost too good to believe at times!


I do not know why I was blessed so greatly to have you as my first born. But Lauren what your dad and I do know is that we thank God every day that he did send you to live in our house. That he gave us a daughter who makes us want to stretch and grow and become more than who we are. You teach us so much and cause our hearts to love and be filled with pride in ways you will never understand.


Thank you sweet Lauren for letting us learn to be parents on you...and never forget that we are here praying for you, loving you and raising you up to your Heavenly Father.


You are our 'Bo-bo' and for that I am eternally grateful.


Love from the very bottoms of our hearts,


Mom and Dad

6 comments:

Cassie said...

happy birthday sweet lauren!!
becky, i can just imagine you sobbing as you wrote that. ugh...it goes too fast.

Anonymous said...

Wow, 9 years! I still remember sitting in that waiting room! Lauren is an original and I can't wait to see what the next 9 brings!

yoderyears said...

Happy Birthday, Lauren!!!

mama barb said...

Just remember sweet heart, no one else can do what the Lord has planned for you...

Love always
mama barb

Courtney said...

precious. just precious.
happy birthday, lauren! you are a very special girl (with a very special mommy!)

Meghan said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!