Monday, November 08, 2010

Isabel

I know there are a lot of people who wont understand this.

Perhaps people who have never had the joy of having an animal become a part of your family...I believe that God gave us animals as part of the expression of his love for us. They offer comfort and rest at the end of a hard day. They offer play time and laughter when words are the last thing we want to deal with. A look in their eyes can show an understanding and acceptance that humans don't always give! I believe pets feel and give love. I don't believe they have souls...but hearts, oh yes, they have big hearts.

I've had a couple of feline friends in my life who have been there for me and snuggled with me and given me unconditional love and laughter.

And one of those was my Isabel.

My dad surprised me with her the week after I got engaged to Jordan. In all honesty I think he did it to show he still had some claim over me even though he loved Jordan and was very happy that we were getting married. I was his little girl and he was going to prove it!

Cute.

She was mine right from the start. Cats pick their owner. Its not the other way. And Izzy loved me. She was mine.

Today Jordan and I had to take Izzy to be put to sleep.

12 years was all her body could take and it was time.

Jordan tried to talk me out of going with him but I could not do that. I would never be at peace with it if I did. And I couldn't put her through that with out my hands around her.

It was probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and I don't care if that sounds stupid.

I feel that I had to let go of one last small tangible piece of my dad.

She wasn't just a cat. She was my cat.

And now I'm just really, really sad. And I miss my Izzy.

And I really miss my dad.

10 comments:

Courtney said...

oh, becky. i'm so sorry!

Tisha said...

That is so, so hard. I'm sorry Becky.

Meghan said...

I am so sorry Becky. It sounds like Izzy holds a lot of memories for you!

Cassie said...

well CRAP.
i've been afraid to ask.
so so so sorry.
love you...

Ellie said...

I'm sorry Becky. That just stinks! :(

yoderyears said...

That is a hard, horrible thing to have to do. Awful! But, with the added connection to your dad...I can't even imagine. I'm so sorry, Becky.

Melissa said...

Oh no, how awful for you, I am so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I loved Izzy! She was one cat that was worth all the sneezes!!!

Jamie J said...

Sorry to hear about Izzy.

Amy said...

I'm so sorry, Becky. I totally understand. My dad is a vet and when I was 16 we had to put my cat, Mittens, to sleep. I had had her since I was 6 years old. He bought the meds home and we did it in the living room. I was holding Mittens, my mom was holding me and we were all crying. He sent me flowers at school the next day, I started crying when I read the card ("We all miss Mittens." Love, Dad) and when my friend told people nearby why I was crying they looked at me like I was crazy. Izzy wasn't just a cat. I get it. So sorry for your loss.