Saturday, March 05, 2011

real help

Isaiah 41:10

'Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.'

I love that verse.

But at times it can be easy to read a verse like that and think...ok, great God, now give me the strength, send me the help, hold me up.

There are times when I can read a verse like that and then almost literally stare at the door and tap my foot...waiting for the help He promised to walk through the door.

But He doesn't always send His help that way.

Often His help is in rearranging our priorities, adjusting our attitudes and setting right our perspectives. And of course, that's not what we want!

We want the easier version. The version where He does the work and we just put our feet up. But He doesn't do the work for us...like a loving parent, He trains us to do the work ourselves.

And its not very fun sometimes...work on the heart seldom is.

But its the kind of help that lasts. That changes lives and glorifies Him.

I just wish I didn't have to be re-taught this so often!

2 comments:

Beth said...

have you been walking around in my brain again? Love this. Love to you. B

D G Curren said...

I love verse 13 of that chapter too! God's Word=amazing comfort.