Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Be Worthy

I'm reading Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas and before I get to the point of my post I want to challenge all you ladies to read this book. Its not an easy one to swallow. It wasn't even an easy one for me to purchase...I knew what it would say, but I'm into it now and I'm embracing it with all I've got! Loving it in fact.

Now, on to the point.

In the chapter I read tonight I read a quote and passage that just hit me...

During the Revolutionary War John Adams and George Washington both wrote in separate letters a quote from a play called Cato. It goes like this, "We can't guarantee success in this war, but we can do something better. We can deserve it."

While they were using it to describe the spirit of our infant nation (which I love and could make another post about) Thomas goes on to use it to describe how a wife should be in love to her husband. "You cant guarantee how everything will turn out; you definitely cant control another human being. But you can 'deserve' success. You can act in such a way that transformation is most likely." Seeing your husband's faults as God's plan to teach you, to form you into the person HE wants you to be, to be used by Him, into being more like Him. Basically, it starts with ME. (See, I said, kind of hard to swallow.)

"This should be the goal of every husband and wife - a man aspiring to be "worthy" of his wife, and a wife aspiring to be "worthy" of her husband."

And some biblical examples of God challenging us on this very thought:
  • Matthew 10:38, Romans 6:32, Ephesians 4:1, Phillipians 1:27, Colossians 1:10, I Thess. 2:12, II Thess. 1:11, III John 6, Revelations 3:4
I know I'm going to be praying about that tonight.

And with that challenge, good night.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

wow...i've loved sacred marriage and sacred parenting...i guess i'll just keep going :-)

Courtney said...

wow...i've loved sacred marriage and sacred parenting...i guess i'll just keep going :-)