Friday, September 26, 2008

It's all relative

A lot of people have asked me lately if things are returning to ‘normal’ at our house.

I thought about it and yes, it is. A 12 week old is obviously easier than a newborn. I don’t want to dive under the covers when the alarm goes off anymore, I feel like I can handle mornings pretty well, bed time is getting a better routine, everything seems to be falling into place and getting back to 'normal'.

Then I realized, maybe its not. One of my favorite sayings lately is, "Its all relative" And I think that is what we are experiencing here. Perhaps it hasn’t gotten easier, perhaps we've just gotten used to it being harder! I think that is likely the truthful answer.

For example, When Lauren was first born I used to think, how do people do this? It’s so overwhelming. Now when I get to have Tess by herself I think, wow, one baby is SO easy! It truly feels like a rest period when I have her by herself. So like I said, It’s all relative.

I was reminded of an event we attended 4 years ago this weekend. Lauren was just shy of 3 and Avery was just 3 months old. It was a long drive away and I remember Avery screaming the whole way home because she also (like Tess) hated her car seat. When we got home, late, Jordan and I's nerves were about shot. But, wow, I havent even thought of that night in years. And when I think back on it what I remember is that Lauren thought the bride was an actual princess and she was just so precious all night. Avery looked completely adorable in a blue sun dress and everyone commented on how little she looked. The first things that come to mind are the good, not the stressful.

That made me happy...to realize that its the good things that will be ingrained in my mind, not the ones that made me want to pull my hair out!

Things are crazy for us right now it’s true. But I also know that even 2 years from now we are going to look back and these times will be missed. And 5 years from now I will look back and actually long for these days. So once again, It’s all relative.

My focus just needs to change a little. I need to concentrate on TODAY. Or even, this morning. And not look to tomorrow or next week. That's when the panic sets in!

1 comment:

Jennie Peakin said...

Hmmmm...I think I know what event you were attending. :) I also will remember Lauren truly thinking I was a princess on my wedding day and even though it came from a 3 year old girl who was probably just seeing my princesslike attire, it was very flattering and I will always remember that!

That is a LONG way for Avery to have been screaming the whole ride home! Ugh! Poor thing!