Friday, September 12, 2008

Now I've seen it all...

This afternoon I asked Avery to go blow her nose and then wash her hands. She'd been in the kitchen for a bit when I heard her yell, "Mommy?!"
I was heading into the kitchen as she called and I said "What's up?"
When I saw her face she looked really guilty.
She responded with, "Uh, I love you...?"

I was messing with my cell phone trying to plug it in and also thinking about my grocery list on the counter. So I didn't think too much about the guilty look.

A couple moments passed and she was still standing there. I looked up at her and she said, "Uh, Actually I did do something."

"Whats that Avery?" (Im still not paying much attention at this point...)

Avery, "Well I put my kleenex in the candle." (which is burning on the counter by the sink)

Me, "Well where is the kleenex now?" (I'm still totally calm, I didn't think she actually got it on fire)

Avery, "Its in the trash."

I slowly walk to the trash under the sink. Seriously, I'm still messing with my cell phone at this point. I'm thinking a kleenex that ALMOST touched the fire is in the trash.

I opened the door to the cupboard to find it ENGULFED in FLAMES!

I screamed. Loud.

I grabbed it and tried to shove it under the faucet but it was too big. So I threw it outside and kind of jumped on it. (I KNOW! I Dont know why, I just went into surival mode. Im lucky I dont have burns all over my hands and feet!)

The trash can is ruined, my kitchen smells like burned plastic.

THANK GOODNESS she told me.

I had just put Sully and Tess down for afternoon naps. Which means Avery and I were headed into the living room for quiet time. The next time I would have gone in there would likely not have been until the smoke alarm was going off and my kitchen cabinets were wiped out.

I sent her to her room and cleaned it up and just sat in the kitchen. What was I to do? Obviously she had to be punished. But Avery is notorius for doing naughty things and then trying to hide them. I didn't want to get so upset with her that she'd not tell me the next time she starts my house on fire!

After about 15 minutes I went in and we had a long talk. She told me that she didn't think 'candle fire' could hurt you. She thought it was only pretty, not scary. I think all mom's with candles need to know that four year olds thing 'candle fire' can't hurt you!

I guess now we know, when Avery looks guilty...investigate. And possibly, no more candles.

ARGH!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh one day when she's 18 you'll be sitting around saying "remember that time you almost burned down our house!" and laugh!!:) Only Avery!

Cassie said...

OH MY GOSH!
seriously, avery! scary!
glad your house is still standing...

and by the way, i really want to taunt jordan right now. i'm sure your dad is laughing up there!

Anonymous said...

Wait till next year Cassie! Can you ask Brigg how his Cardinals are doing?

Is it just me or was the ISU/Iowa game quite boring. A battle of two not very good teams.

Jordan

Beckysblog said...

I really cant believe no hawk fans called and tormented Jordan. I mean come on...he calls all of you and leaves mean messages. I was kind of looking forward to it.

And seriously Jordan, Brigg is 7, leave him alone!

Cassie said...

yeah jordan.
he's in FIRST GRADE!

pick on someone your own size.