Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Idols

At the retreat I attended last weekend the speaker's last session dealt with the idols we have in our lives.

Its easy for me to say, oh I dont have idols in my life! An idol is a bronze statue that I bow to and trust in.

But the speaker gave a different definition of an idol: If you are willing to sin to GET it. Or if you sin if you DONT get it. Then it is an idol in your life.

Wow. That changes things.

That means even good things in my life can be idols.

I would never think that desiring quality time with Jordan could be an idol. But what are my actions if the kdis are slow in getting ready for bed? Am I patient? Am I meeting their needs? Or do I rush them through the process, give them a kiss and walk away?

What about my house? Its not wrong for me to wany my floors to be clean or the mail to be organized. But what is my reaction if Sullivan drops cookie crumbs all over the floor 10 minutes after I've mopped or if Jordan leaves the stack of mail on the kitchen counter for 2 days straight? Am I loving? Or do I lose my temper and show my worst?

What about my blog (gasp!)?! What do I neglect in order to update my pictures and post them to my blog? I am preserving memories, I am creating something for our family to always treasure. But what about my bible sitting on the shelf across the room? When I get done blogging at night am I too tired to crack that open?

The devil is a sly, deceptive liar. He can convince me that I DESERVE these things. That I am owed something at the end of the day. And that makes these idols in my life which appear to be so good...actually things that turn my attention from my Savior and put a barrier between him and me because of my sin.

They, or my reaction to them, can put my heart in a place where I will not turn to God, my strength. Instead I let bitterness and frustration rule my heart. In actuality I deserve nothing, but an eternity in hell.
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus, our Lord.

But my savior has promised me much more than that. John 10:10 says, "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

I need to be much more careful of those idols and the sneaky ruler of this world (satan) who is out there...seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8 "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

3 comments:

Courtney said...

thanks for sharing...very convicting! good stuff!

Ellie said...

Ahhh! Yes, I needed to hear this. I've been thinking about this subject for awhile and couldn't put my finger on what "it" was. Idols.

Choose Joy said...

So right! We just talked about this on the Excellent Wife blog. Check it out....It deals with sin. http://theexcellentwife.wordpress.org.