Sunday, February 14, 2010

Floor Update

I had quite few emails asking for flooring updates.

Our wireless is disconnected so I'm posting quick from my mom's.

First, we cant thank my brother Nick, sis-in-law Stacie or niece Livvy enough for their help on Saturday. Or my mom for watching all 4 of our kids all day Saturday AND Sunday.

With that, I'll tell you that if I could go back, I would not have done this project. I would have a) put down a new floor or b) hired someone to refinish it for us. We've had some amazing laughs with this and there is no one I'd rather attempt this with than Jordan. But we are sooo done with it! Honestly we have not fought or wanted to kill each other yet so I guess that right there means a success in home renovation terms.

And it MIGHT work out ok and look good in the end...but getting there may also kill me. Our house is DESTROYED. And get this...we will probably put the last coat of polyurethane on Tuesday. And THREE DAYS after that we can put the furniture back. Yeah, nice. Did I mention we have four kids?

But, now for the fun. My all time favorite quote from the weekend was Jordan saying, "Well, I guess you and Stacie were right!" It was so beautiful to my ears! ;)

Now for a quiz for those of you who might be considering refinishing your own floors...

If you answer Yes to ANY of questions 1-2 or No to ANY of questions 3-8 then do not, I repeat do not attempt this project:
1. Do you fight with your spouse during any type of household project?
2. Do you live in a 100 year old home with uneven floors that have buckle and dip and therefore resist the commercial sander?

3. Are you and/or your spouse Bob Villa or a direct decendent of his?
4. Do you enjoy spending hour after hour on your hands and knees and a razor blade attempting to remove old floor varnish?
5. Do you enjoy the movie Cinderella so much that you want to replay the scene of her cleaning the floors over and over in your own home with you acting out her part?
6. Do you enjoy tearing open your knuckles and fingers with sandpaper?
7. Do you like making FOUR trips to the hardware store in one day?
8. Do you like to cry?

Anyway, that was meant in fun.

The last coat of stain goes on tonight. Hopefully tomorrow we will get 2 coats of poly on because Jordan has the day off...PHEW!

6 comments:

Cassie said...

i
feel
for
you.
we have refinished hardwood floors in our homes.
TWICE.
i'll never do it again. but you will feel the MOST satisfaction when it's all over!! :)
(AND...do you know how much money you saved by doing it yourselves?? LOTS!)

Ellie said...

Oh my. I am feeling for you too. We have never refinished floors, but have done a lot of home improvement projects on our own and it can be painful....in more ways than one! Hang in there!

yoderyears said...

Ok....so no refinishing floors for me. Thanks for letting me learn a life lesson through your experience. Glad it is almost done for you! I'm sure it will be well worth it...and it will be a considered a "good time" many, many....many years from now. :)

Anonymous said...

ahhh 20 years from now you'll look back at this with fondness and laughter.

Courtney said...

i could never do it. wow.

Shannon/Jodi said...

It will be SO worth it when you are done. You'll even appreciate all the imperfections. We managed with eight children. It will only be half as bad for you--well, maybe it doesn't work that way afterall. You'll survive, and the kids will have fun memories.