Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Anniversaries

Today is the 4th Anniversary of my dad's death.

Recounting the events of that day or the week or weeks following is
not how I want to commemorate this day.

And its not how he would want me to spend the day either.

He would remind me that we are not without hope, that we will meet again, that God is in control and that I have better things to do with my time then to feel sorry for myself.

He would tell me to read these verses.

I Thessalonians 4:13-14
'Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.'

Jordan often reminds me of how lucky we've been.
Of how we got to have my dad and the awesome things about him - even if we had to lose him early. That many people don't get relationships with their father like we had. That many times people don't get to know their dad and laugh with their dad and just enjoy family like we have.

And that helps.

A lot.

Because we are some of the lucky ones.

And that is what I want to remember today. All the wonderful memories and laughter. The things he taught us and the things he wanted for us.

Dad, we miss you. Every day.
It doesn't get easier with time. Time doesn't heal all wounds.
But we do have hope.
We love you and cannot wait to meet with you again.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

How wonderful that you have such beautiful memories to keep his spirit alive within your hearts.

I love Jordan's perspective as well. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today. I hope the memories of your dad help to comfort your broken heart, especially today.

Hugs from us.

Ellie said...

Thinking of you today Becky!!

Beth said...

Much love to you friend. You are truly blessed to have had such a wonderful father in your earthly life.

Courtney said...

just catching up...sorry i didn't read this yesterday! but praying for you today. and i love that you are focusing on the HOPE and BLESSINGS of who your dad was!