Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Happy 6th Birthday, Avery Elizabeth!

I remember June 21, 2004 like it was yesterday, not 6 years ago.

I was running around the hospital like a chicken with my head cut off for the hospital's 'hard hat' event. I was 2 weeks shy of my due date.

My grandmother was also in that hospital, very sick.
I was torn between wanting to be by her side with all of my family and needing to be part of all the excitement going on at the hospital's event I had spent weeks planning.

Finally, 7pm hit and the event was over. I was sitting in the hospital waiting room and I finally admitted that I was in labor. I remember my boss touched my stomach during one of the contractions and she said, 'Becky, go to the hospital NOW!' (our hospital does not deliver babies).

But I couldn't leave without saying good bye to grandma. So Jordan and I tearfully said our good byes and headed to Waterloo.

At 6am June 22nd Avery Elizabeth was born.

She came out with one push...literally as the doctor walked in the door in time to see the nurse catching her.

My grandma passed away a little later that morning and I remember holding precious Avery as I got the news via my brother over the phone. I remember crying but feeling so blessed...death and new life - so many emotions. Avery was a bright spot to everyone that day and in the week that followed.

Jordan and I were so happy to have a baby sister for Lauren. We had both hoped it would be a girl.
Avery was an easy baby. She slept through the night at 2 weeks, but rarely napped. But she was truly almost always happy. She crawled at 3.5 months - no lie and stood at 6 months. She was all smiles and laughter.

A total joy.

She grew into a wild and CRAZY toddler. We made a fair number of trips to the ER with her for a broken bone and stitches before she turned 2. She has given me many gray hairs.

Then somehow when I wasn't looking, she started to calm down. To change. To grow up. She still has some fire in those eyes, but she is also my girl who will sit and color quietly for hours, who loves to be read to, to snuggle quietly, to dance in her room all alone. She loves EVERYTHING to be beautiful and to sparkle. She loves fairy stories and happy endings.

Avery, you remind me of a younger version of myself in so many ways, in your incessant need to cuddle, touch and hold hands, your ability to worry about things that should never be worried about, your easy to break heart, your love of movies and stories where love conquers all, your wild and crazy ideas and even crazier dreams as you sleep, how you start out timid but end up wanting the party to last all night, how you wear your emotions right on your sleeve - no one ever has to wonder if either of us are happy, sad or mad!

Avery, just like the day you were born, you continue to fill our lives with sunshine, warmth, smiles and laughter in the middle of life's storms.

We love you with all our hearts - you are our 'baby Avie'
Love mommy and daddy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These always make me cry :) Happy birthday, Avery!

Anonymous said...

You described her perfectly!!! Happy Happy Birthday Avery!!!