Friday, April 30, 2010

Kindergarten Round-up

Avery's 'most exciting day EVER' finally arrived today.
I think she has had this on a countdown in her brain for at least 2 solid years.
She FINALLY got to go to kindergarten!
Even if it was just round-up, she was thrilled.

Last night she insisted her hair had to be in rollers and her nails had to be painted.
She's had her clothes picked out for a week and spent at least 10 minutes this morning figuring out which necklace to wear.
I've watched all this with an anxious pit in my stomach...or heart.
I. am. not. ready.
Avery is different than Lauren.
More sensitive to what kids say, more self conscious about what she looks like, more apprehensive about trying new things...
These things just make me nervous for all day kindergarten.
That she'll come home with her tender heart broken.

I'd rather just keep her 5.

I LOVE my 5 year old Avery.
My sweet, cuddly, bouncy, sneaky, giggly, creative, funny bundle of 5.

I love how she HAS to pose for pictures.

I really thought I'd be a mess.

But I couldn't be...cause she was!

I snapped this picture of her in the van and we hoped out in the
TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR and RAN into the school.

She wouldn't come out from behind me, wouldn't walk into the room.
Begged me to stay.
Finally Mrs. Johnson, Lauren's kindergarten teacher, smiled and winked at her and we walked into the room.
She whispered, 'mommy, I'm scared'.

But I held it together.
I told her she was going to do great, that I loved her and pointed out some of her preschool friends and gently nudged her away from me.

She went and played.

I backed out of the room and left.

So grown up.

Me.
not her.

well her too.

Now come August. It will probably be the other way around.
She'll be shoving me out the door as tears stream down my face.
ugh!

2 comments:

mama barb said...

I pray she always keeps this tender heart, will it get hurt, yes, but with her zest for life and love of people it will be fun to watch where the Lord will use her...

My heart, forever Avery...A very good girl!!!
mama barb

Ellie said...

I love her sassy new hair do! Very "kindergarten" :) What a sweet girl....she is already a role model. Ellie looks up to and adores Avery so much!