Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 15 - 30 Days of Thankfulness - Birthday Edition

Day 15:
I am thankful for my Lauren Elaine.

And just like that - a decade has passed - and my first born is 10 years old.

Happy 10th Birthday Lauren Elaine!
To my Lauren,
I remember the day you were born like it was yesterday...not 10 years ago. That is simply crazy. It has gone by so very fast. Nothing prepares you for that. Not even when everyone around you tells you that it will.

I remember arriving at the hospital in the middle of the night so excited for your birth. Then 12 hours later the big moment came and they laid you in my arms. Suddenly, I was so scared! I realized I actually knew nothing about babies. I wanted to beg a nurse to come home with us. I wanted to beg grandma to just move in with us! But it turned out I didnt need either of those things because I had your dad.
Somehow he knew immedietly how to change your diaper, dress you and soothe your tears. I would watch him and be jealous of his skill. And I wondered where mine could possibly be!? But I learned and soon caring for you was the only thing I wanted to do. I remember how we would lay you on our bed so you could stretch out and we would just stare at you...and reflect on how thankful we were of the gift God had given us in you...our first baby...our first girl.

Your dad loved showing you off. I felt every day he was asking me to bring you into his work so that he could just walk you around and have people look at you. Im not sure a daddy has ever been more proud of their baby. I will never forget it.

But you didnt stay a baby. No, it seemed overnight you were crawling, then walking, talking and running. You developed the most infectious giggle and the sweetest smile. You were the biggest daddy's girl of all daddy's girls. You were quite the pair let me tell you!

Then you became a big sister. You never missed your spot as the only child. No, you seemed destined to lead, to coach, to teach. You took Avery under your wing and loved her like only the best big sister could do. And you've done that with each of your younger siblings. You are helpful and patient, understanding and fun. Your dad and I realize the responsibility put on you by being the oldest of 5 children. And you always amaze us with how 'up to the task' you are. They are so blessed by you.

But what is even better than your helpfulness and your maturity is your love for fun. You are the first to yell out 'yes!' when Daddy asks who wants to go kayaking or biking or whatever crazy adventure he dreams up. You love to watch movies late at night but you refuse to watch anything scary! You love to laugh and be in on the joke. You love that you are old enough to get some of the inside jokes.

I pray you never lose your love for adventure, your confidence in trying new things and your ability to turn ordinary events into memories to keep forever.

Lauren you are 10. 10 girl!
A decade later and there are still moments when I feel ill-equipped to parent you. Every single day Lauren you make me grow and you bring out a desire in me to be a better parent, a better person. No one else has ever done that for me.
You make me better. You.

And I know all too well that the next time I wake up you will be 18 and my heart will be filled with much sadness watching you go. You are more than 1/2 way to leaving us. But just as it is now, it will be filled with so much pride and so much love and so much adoration for you that I think it might just burst.

Lauren we do not deserve you. We are blessed to call you our daughter. Thank you for being everything I dreamed you would be and everything my dreams could not contain.

Thank you for being our Bo-bo.

Happy 10th birthday young lady.
Happy 10th birthday.

Love,
Mom and Dad

Psalm 150:6
'Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!'

2 comments:

Ellie said...

What a special, incredible girl she is! Happy Birthday Lauren!

Anonymous said...

I too remember the day she was born like it was yesterday...perhaps that is why I didn't have a child until 5 years later??? :) Happy Birthday!!