Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas 2008

Back last week - which seems like a month ago- I said that this wasn't going to be the Christmas we expected. Jodi commented that it might not be what we expected, but it was the Christmas that God wanted for us. The one He planned for us. I really need to thank Jodi because after reading that my spirits were lifted and I felt very excited for what was in store for us that week.
And truly, we had a wonderful Christmas Eve. It was hard not being at Jordan's parents with all the family and the kids and the fun...but we had an amazing night of just being with us. We got to actually play with the kids new toys, we made homemade pizza and decorated cookies. It was totally laid back and completely stress free. I haven't had a Christmas like that since I started having kids. And when I look back on it, Jodi was so right, it was exactly the Christmas that God had planned for us. I think He knew that we needed that. Just one night.

On Christmas Day we were able to go to my mom's with my family because my kids are the only kids under 15 there...so we did have a lot of fun celebrating with my family.

My kids were so totally spoiled that I am sure they will never need a new toy again. The girls big gifts from uncles and grandparents were scooters and guitars. I love and hate both gifts! Sully's big gifts were a Handy Manny truck and tools and some Thomas take-a-long sets. He LOVES them. My brothers also gave us our first guns...2 nerf guns for Sully. Although if you came to our house you would see that these gifts must have been for Jordan. He is having a BLAST with them!

We spent the day and evening at my mom's and just had fun. But as always there was that big empty spot sitting there. It doesn't get less obvious that my dad isn't there. It seems to become more obvious with each passing year. There is a void. A void that used to be filled with his smile, his laughter, the look on his face as he watched us opening gifts, the look that showed so much love and pride as he watched his children. The void that used to be filled with his bigger than life spirit. Christmas wont ever be the same. And I think what I realized this year is that even when I'm the one sitting around surrounded by MY grandchildren...there will still be a void, he will still be so greatly missed.

1 comment:

Shannon/Jodi said...

Memories...

I'm glad it was a great Christmas for you.