Wednesday, December 24, 2008

So this is Christmas?

Well things are unraveling at a rather rapid rate.
Tess has been really congested...carrying around the virus that has been in our house for a week or more now. Well yesterday I heard that RSV was really flaring up and that it had been in our daycare.

Sullivan was in the hospital at 2 weeks old with RSV and it was one of the worst things I've ever dealt with as a mother...so I take the virus seriously.

I made an appt for Tess yesterday afternoon. I was fully expecting it to be a wasted trip. No such luck. She's got RSV. And the dr. made me feel like we should be a little more worried about her than we were. She's on the nebulizer now and seems to be doing fine. Actually she is very happy, continuing to sleep through the AWFUL cough and loving the nebulizer.


However, since she has a confirmed case of RSV that means we are basically quarantined from other kids. Yep, no Christmas Eve at Grandma Cindy's with all the cousins. I actually cried.

Then things got worse. Avery woke up at midnight with a very high temp. and a sore ear and headache. She and I were back at the doctor at 8:30 this am. Yep, bad ear infection. The dr. said if we hadn't come in we most definitely would have been in an ER tonight. (I've done ER's and Urgent Care's on holidays - and I'm SO glad we didn't wait.

So our Christmas Eve will look a little different. We already opened our gifts with our little family so tonight we will play with toys, make homemade pizza and decorate sugar cookies. Lauren said she and Avery can put on a play of the First Christmas and we can read the Christmas story again and again. (She's so cute.)

And I'm actually excited. We will make this a memorable Christmas for the kids and turn our focus to the baby in the manager instead of the gifts under the tree. And as we all know, that's the way it should be anyway.

5 comments:

Shannon/Jodi said...

I hope everyone is feeling better.

Remember--this is exactly the Christmas God wanted you to have. It may just turn out to be one of the most memorable.

Enjoy!

Beckysblog said...

Thanks Jodi, you are so right. I appreciate the reminder and encouragement!

Meghan said...

Kids are always sick on Holidays. It is sad when we dont get to have the Christmas that we expected. I agree that this might be one of your most memorable. I thought for sure Emmy had RSV, but she is on steriods for her cough. I will be thinking of you and your family this Christmas, wishing you a very fun night.

Courtney said...

wow! i guess this is Christmas with little kids, huh? we SHOULD get together! if only...

have a merry Christmas! we'll probably look back at this as one of the best ones. it's just hard for me to switch gears...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Becky, I hope everyone is feeling better soon!