Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sometimes I'm just dumb

I took the kids to Awana by myself last night and then I had to go to Walmart.

We left church at 8:15, already past bed time.

The kids did great but basically because I was a drill sergeant while we were there and because Lauren is the world's most helpful and mature 8 year old EVER.

I spent yesterday afternoon making my menu and grocery list for the next 1.5 weeks. I had all my coupons ready to go. I was set.

So we are in the check out line and Lauren and Avery desperately need to go to the bathroom. So I send them off. I finish checking out, which is a disaster trying to keep Tess from unbuckling and standing up in the cart and go to find them, wondering what is taking so long.

I stand outside the restrooms for a minute and then peek my head in and say Lauren's name.

No answer.

I say it louder.

Nothing.

I YELL her name.

No reply. I scan the stalls - no one.

I run out of the bathroom and grab a Walmart employee and hysterically tell her that my children are missing.

Then it hits me.

I had been in the men's restroom.

I started breathing again, explained to the employee who thinks I am INSANE, and then go into the WOMEN's restroom where Lauren and Avery are calmly washing their hands.

Keep in mind all the time I am worried about Lauren and Avery I've basically forgotten about the other two in the cart!!!!

So we get collected and start out of the store.

And it is then that I realize...I DIDNT USE MY COUPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I could have cried.

And this is why you do not go to Walmart at 8:15, on a school night, with 4 kids.

9 comments:

Cassie said...

that story has nothing to do with intelligence! you are no DUMB! :)
but it was kind of funny....

Anonymous said...

I have never laughed so hard!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time- but now since it is over....I wonder what all the men were thinking while you were yelling into their bathroom.
jen f

Courtney said...

that is SO something i would do...headed to walmart this afternoon...after school and dentist appt for the older 3...so we'll probably be hitting it right at dinner time - GREAT, huh??

Anonymous said...

ok- just reread it and saw that you actually went into the bathroom- that is definitely a story to remember
jen f

Ellie said...

Oh my goodness! So funny! But I am feeling for ya on the coupon thing. I have been frazzled at the checkout line and then walked out of the store without using any of the 170 coupons stashed in my purse. Frustrating!

Rosanna said...

Oh Becky! I love the story. Someday, even you will be able to laugh at the situation, and it will be a priceless tale that your children will want to hear over and over :) You should send this in to Reader's Digest or some other magazine that is willing to purchase jokes and funny stories. You could more than make up for the amount of money you lost by forgetting the coupons!!!

Anonymous said...

You are your mother's daughter...we once left a newborn in grocery cart and unloaded produce into car before we realized we forgot something!!!!

mama barb

Shannon/Jodi said...

I've so been there and done that. I've actually walked out of the store with coupons clutched in my hand, after struggling to maneuver my wallet in and out of my purse with a full hand. Ugh.

Leighann said...

i'm laughing with you, not at you. i promise. ;)