Friday, January 22, 2010

Submission

I read this on one of my favorite blogs the other day and it kept coming back to me so I thought I'd share it for the rest of you.
To set it up, the author is Leighann and her blog is inspiring. She is the mother of 3. Her youngest, Ryan, was born with a serious heart problem. There story is on her blog.
the 'Giant' she refers to is her husband, Henry. So read this and then start reading her blog. Its great.

Submission:

Have you ever watched Dancing with the Stars? Come on, admit it. I know you have. And if you haven’t then well, I hope you still get the picture.

Whenever I watch ballroom dancing, I always marvel at the fancy footwork, the graceful movements, the strength and control of the dancers. Both have to be strong and both have to know their moves.

A few years ago, the Giant and I took a Cha-Cha class. I kept getting the feet work wrong and Henry finally said, "Would you quit thinking and let me lead?" At first I thought it was a great example of submission, but something about it rubbed me wrong. And then it dawned on me.

If you watch DWTS you know it’s pretty easy to tell the professional from the amateur. The interesting thing is, when a professional man and an amateur female are paired, you can tell the woman is not in top form, but the dance goes okay. However, when it is the professional female and the amateur male, it looks awkward. It seems like the delicate, graceful partner is dragging her unpracticed amateur partner around the dance floor. It looks plain bad.

Because you see, within the realm of ballroom dancing the partners must not only be in sync, but the male must lead. And when he doesn’t – it’s awkward and not pretty to watch.

And the funny thing is, the female dancer doesn’t take any offense that in their partnership there is a definite leader and it’s not her. She understands that she must be in tip-top shape and on her A game too.

It is the same with marriage. There is an equal partnership with two very important roles. This doesn’t make one partner more important than the other. It doesn’t make one partner weaker than the other. In fact, the partnership is only as strong as its weakest link.

So next time you wonder what each spouse looks like in a marriage with submission, think of dancers. Graceful, supportive, cooperative, and passionate with one leading and the other twirling beautiful circles around her partner.

No comments: