Saturday, August 15, 2009

Our world

So all week long I've listened to the sports world going on and on about Michael Vick and his new team, and the fans reactions and his future in the sport and blah blah blah blah. 

(Now, before I really get started let me say, I do not think dog fighting is a small crime. I do not believe in torturing animals, I do not think what he did is right...in anyway. He is a criminal and a bad person. He needs a Savior.)

What I am saying is that I hate it that my children are growing up in a world where someone involved in Dog Fighting is put in jail - forced to pay the punishment they are required, and then basically forever ruined because of the crime. 

That in the God forsaken world of collegiate and professional sports - he is bad mouthed and said to be a poor role model and on and on. 

(Again, he is NOT a good person, he is a horrible role model, a horrible example of what someone with an amazing amount of God given talent and ability flushing it down the toilet.)

BUT

Then you turn around and athletes such as Steve McNair who was openly cheating on his wife and cheating on his mistress and I'm sure that list goes on and on...gets himself killed because of all this...so then at his funeral all the talk is...we cant focus on his personal life because that was that - personal. We need to focus on him as an athlete and all the good he did for society and what a role model he was. 

OR

Rick Pitino who cheats on his wife and then pays the woman off to go have an abortion. But we shouldn't focus on that. We should focus on what a great leader he is of young men and what an amazing coach he is. 

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! 

Role models? Leaders? Coaches? 

No. 

Our world is so turned around and has its values so out of place that to hurt animals is enough to ruin you and make you someone who shouldn't be a role model. But someone who has no moral family values who cheats and kills via abortion pays no penalty. That someone who has no value in vows and commitments can pay no penalty. Does not lose their job, status or anything. These are the men we point our sons to, the ones we aspire our children to work with, be like? No. Not me. 

2 Timothy 3:1-5 
 "1But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days2People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,3without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good,4treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."

(And yes, I have had too much cable television and XM radio over the past week...and this post is precisely why I do not have either...it is not good for my health...or the ears of those forced to listen to me...aka my husband.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen child
Mom

Candi said...

I agree TOTALLY!!!! It is a sad sad place we live in....